EquipmentMotorhome Essentials

Motorhome Essentials- our Euro Driving Travel Equipment

Traveling around in Paloma, our motorhome we have a special bag of bits and bobs, and from time to time it makes to check through our Euro Driving Travel Bag to make sure it’s contents are all there:-

This list from the AA is excellent and they keep it well updated.

It contains country by country lists of requirements, legal driving ages and conditions, and any special gear you need to carry onboard.

This RAC information is also highly recommended

Here’s a list of all the standard essential kit you MUST carry on a European Road Trip, plus a few extra I’d never be without .

Our motorhomes euro driving kit

  • Warning triangle (two for Spain)
  • The driver must be in a position to give prior warning of the hazard by placing a warning triangle on the road at an appropriate distance prior to the hazard. (In Spain two triangles must be carried to give advance warning to traffic from both directions).

  • Headlight beam deflectors
  • Once fitted these adjust your headlamps beam pattern so you don’t dazzle oncoming drivers

  • Spare bulbs for all lights
  • Drivers must be in a position to replace any blown exterior light.

    European law deems that it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle on the Continent at any time if a headlight, side light or other lamp is not in good working order, and the driver is not in a position to replace any such blown running light on demand by a Police Officer.

  • Torch
  • Come on you know if the worst happens it will dark too !
  • Fire extinguisher
  • The European Good Samaritan Law requires every driver to stop and provide assistance in the event of an accident, so it is strongly advisable to carry a fire extinguisher.

  • Breathalyser kit for France
  • Compulsory in France well maybe ?
  • There is a lot of debate on what the actual law is and it changes regularly. My best advice is to buy 2, make sure they are in date and keep them in your vehicle, peace of mind for a couple of quid)
  • First aid kit
  • Across Europe, many countries uphold the ‘Good Samaritan Law’, which makes it mandatory for you to stop and help someone in the event of an accident.

    Here is what the AA say your kit must included:

    • 6 x wound dressings (10cm x 10cm)
    • 2 x triangular badges (136cm x 96cm x 96 cm)
    • 2 x first aid dressings (40cm x 60cm)
    • 1 x first aid dressing (60cm x 80cm)
    • 3 x first aid compress (8cm x 10cm)
    • 2 x bandages (4m x 6cm)
    • 3 x bandages (4m x 8cm)
    • 1 x emergency blanket (160cm x 210cm)
    • 8 x adhesive plasters (10cm x 6cm)
    • 1 x pair of scissors
    • 1 x adhesive tape (5m x 2.5cm)
  • Snowchains
  • Check the rules on the country you are visiting and pay close attention to the dates when the snow chain/ snow tyres rules come into force.
  • Michele buying snow chains in Pisa
  • Do You Wear Glasses

    If so you are required to take a spare pair of spectacles in the car with you when driving in France and Spain.

    GB Sticker

    If your car is towing a caravan, trailer, boat etc then whatever it is should have a GB sticker on it as well.

    Euro style plates on our Pilote motorhome

    Regarding the GB sticker if you have a newer style EU Number plate with the GB and the Euro flag on it then your good to go

    Hi Viz Vests

    If you breakdown or heaven forbid are involved in an accident you will need to get out of the vehicle and stand at the roadside or on the hard-shoulder if on a motorway. The authorities are very strict that people stood outside the vehicle on motorways

    That’s everyone you the driver and also all of your passengers. So if a family of four are travelling in the car then you should each have a hi viz. Also these need to be carried inside the cabin of the car not the boot so you can put it on before you get out, though in practical terms I presume most will be putting it on as they are getting out.

    However the police are strict and if they see you stood with the boot up rummaging round trying to find the vests under all your suitcases and beach balls they will very likely issue you with a fine.

    We’ve even got one for Fred Dog.

  • Motorway tax/ Vignette.
  • These are enforced in several countries across Europe, including Switzerland, Bulgaria , Hungary, Romania and Austria.
  • You must have them fitted on your vehicle, they are normally available just after crossing the boarder.
  • Clean Air tax in some French cities, called Crit’Air. Here’s what you need to know about those.
  • Documents You Need to Take

    You will obviously take your passport with when travelling abroad but because you are driving your own car you will need to take a few other things.

    EuropeN travel documents ready !


    Driving Licence

    Proof of Ownership (V5 Log book)

    Insurance Documents

    M.O.T. (If your car is over 3 years old)

    It is worth checking with your Insurance company if you will be fully covered while driving in Europe as some “Fully Comprehensive” Insurance policies revert to just offering “3rd Party” cover whilst driving abroad.

    I also recommend that you take the phone number of your insurance company with you in case you need it and I would strongly recommend that you have some European Breakdown Cover and make sure the number you have is correct!

    One thought on “Motorhome Essentials- our Euro Driving Travel Equipment

    • "Mo" and Suz Stokes

      Very helpful and good to know 😉 . thanks !


    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.